Friday, September 3, 2010

Let's employ active language to engage readers from the onset~

Well, someone was paying attention in creative writing class, good grief.
After an incredibly bullshit two days with FFXIV (where, oddly, my school situation improved dramatically-- I wonder if there's an inverse "convenience" correlation there) I'm finally in that beta, so let's see if school doesn't take the shit now.
Oh, right. Claire Hawthorne's Garden (ugh).

Two days of warm sunny weather does not an Indian summer make......however, it's warmer than it's been for a long time with a weather forecast that seems quite settled, therefore I'm determined that the next few days are going to be spent outdoors in order to make the most of it.

Fascinating. What do you even say to this? Who the fuck cares about Indian summer or whatever the weather forecast or whatever this shit is?
The light has changed over the last few days; it's golden, mellow, less harsh than it has been over the previous weeks.

>semicolon
>less harsh
>mellow
JUST REWRITE THIS, FUCK ME. If the light is mellow isn't it, by definition, not harsh? Also you're creating a list. The list can't be its own sentence so you'd just use a colon because you're leading into the clause. In fact, this is expressly why the colon was created and you still missed the usage. Goddamn.
The last day of any month usually passes unmarked by any conscious thought, but this year the last day of August seems to have taken on a certain significance for me.
If only that wasn't the case, if only I could drift unknowing and thus unfeeling, from August through to September without any sense of loss.

DEEEEEEP.
You do realize no reader is going to have any clue what the fuck you're on about, don't you? Who, honestly, has ever heard of the end of the end of the month being "unthinking" prior to this nonsense?
That's not to say you can't coin new ideas but your ideas have to first make sense and second be cool, and this fails both checks. In fact, the end of the month is the time for most thought because that's when payments are due and especially when a season changes people have to go back to school or their work schedules change and a million fucking things are different at the end of a season.
To know it is August is to acknowledge it is still summer.....while to know it is September requires an acceptance of autumn.

I actually sat and watched the clock when I knew August was ending. September starts and we are in the month of FFXIV.

Yet nature moves at her own speed.

ALIEN. NOT YOURS.

The clear blue skies of this morning had disappeared by noon to be replaced with banks of broken grey cloud moving down from the north-west.

Man, you're boring, Claire. Let me rewrite this sentence for INTRIGUE.
The clear blue skies of this morning disappeared by noon, to be replaced by the indefinite shadows of ALIEN INVADERS.
YEAAAAAAAH. Also note "had disappeared" became just "disappeared" because "had disappeared" is passive voice (and therefore a no-no when writing an opening paragraph) but also because it's fewer words.

As the rosehips get redder their leaves slowly become more yellow.

Unbalanced sentence, ahoy! Wouldn't "get redder" sound a lot better with "become yellower" as opposed to "become more yellow (grammatically incorrect)"?

Howard and I didn't appreciate being woken unexpectedly this morning by the roofer

Howard and Claire. Let's just take a moment to hate them.
There we go.
How can you post this much about a fucking garden, Jesus Christ all mighty. I'd wager War and Peace, which is about a fucking war isn't as long as this nonsense and that book is like 2000 pages.
When I found this poem by Christina Rossetti this afternoon I thought how apt it was for today was a day when I had two and a half roses in the morning and none by dinnertime......

>found a poem
>apt
What, do you live at a college or something?

I also took the trowel and dug up all the golden feverfew seedlings from around the tree although I've left two in the shady stone circle until they develop stronger roots.

"Shady stone circle" sounds like something a grimoire in a video game might reference over and over and then you find out the "stone circle" is the giant, phallic tower when viewed from an aerial view and the shadow it casts at noon points to some secret archive or something.
Sorry this is so boring I'm trying to create interest where there is none, let's proceed.

They are going to have to grow quickly though for I'll need them dug up by the Full Moon.

... Because the archive closes forever at the next full moon.
The hell?

Today is Lughnasadh or Lammas, a celebration of the harvest.

Today is that noise you make when you have a lot of sinus leakage and you try to get all the snot into your throat.

This morning I was briefly horrified to see that the potted sage had appeared to wilt.

Good, fuck your potted sage. May a blight descend on your entire garden.
Today is still windy but not stormy which is a big relief for me, although it's still too windy to take any photographs of the garden.

.. while I pondered weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
Man now I'm quoting Edgar Allan Poe, this is getting dire.

To my surprise yesterday's storms hadn't abated by this morning.

It's the tempest-worshiping Shadowmen who create this unholy affront to our nation.
Despite the unseasonal gusts,

Despite the accursed Sirocco wind that beats down upon my head, I make my way across the scorched and twice-damned wasteland to my destination: the camp of the Lost and Ill-Fortuned souls.
Man my sentences are so much better. They have mythological references, they have curses and damnation, they have tempest-worshipers-- man, I rule.

I was determined to get the rest of the golden feverfews moved into bigger pots for they appeared to have stopped growing in their root-bound state.

I kept a sprig of feverfew in my helmet to ward off sickness and disease, a superstition I now knew to be false as my leg joints ached and protested under the burning fever of Helljoint.
WOOOOOOO patch is done time to play some FFXIV.
New character time--
Miqo'te master race reporting in, I think--
Seeker of the Sun or Keeper of the Moon? One looks normal while the other is something straight out of your nightmares, I think this choice is obvious--
Lower intelligence than the Moon one, though. You heard it hear first, folks: nocturnal people have two more points of intelligence.
Well last time I picked pugilist which worked out fine but let's mix it up a little.
Let's try the coward's weapon: archer.
Apparently the shit I've selected has created someone with more fire than electrical defense.
Oh well, keep my character out of electrical currents and water and I guess I'll be fine.
Ah, see? Already it's raining fire. I knew fire resist would be important.
Oh right, this.
Err-- go away.

No comments: