Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Dark times indeed

Today's writer's (possessive) block asks WHICH YEAR OF YOUR LIFE HAS BEEN THE BEST SO FAR?
This question is perplexing to me on several levels. First, who honestly keeps track of what happens to them in an entire year that carefully to be able to answer with a definitive answer? I seriously tried to answer this question but it devolved into a "well this happened this year, I think, or no, did it happen that year?"
Anyway, one thing is clear: the year of our lord 2010 is not anyone's best year. A lot of people said a year from 2005-2009, which is strange because those years have been pretty objectively shit by any standard that matters.
Yoinokaku (no idea what that means either) took this as a chance to run his/her/its fucking yap, though.

Now, I complained dreadfully during my senior year, but it was also the year of my highest achievement (too bad senior GPA doesn't count for college), and it was also the year I got to spend a month in Europe, which I consider one of the traveling highlights of my life so far.

Well la-de-fucking-dah.
Also: why doesn't your senior year GPA count for college? That seems kind of silly and arbitrary to me. I guess a lot of people get lazy their senior year but what if you didn't? That's going to be held against you?
Also it should be held against you, fuck it.
Glad I punched out at noon during my senior year now.

There are many disadvantages to not being sure of one's major. Right now I'm stuck deciding between History and Psychology--both of which I'm interested in; Psychology is less writing-intensive, but I've taken more classes in History already.

Hi, you seem to be making the titanic mistake of "which major is easiest to graduate from?" instead of "which of these gets me work?"
Let me share a bit of wisdom with you: unless you have your doctorate no one cares about a psychology degree.
History, for reasons I have no understanding of, will get you mad money eventually.
plus I want to study abroad the spring semester of my junior year, plus all the courses I need to take for my major, plus if I'm going to major in Psych I need to decide, like, before registration for THIS spring

I've suddenly decided I don't care about this anymore. Next entry.
From wikiHow:

"Create a single, traumatic incident for your villain. It could be as devastating as seeing his parents murdered or as sublime as seeing a prized rosebush destroyed by the whims of nature. The reason for this is to create a turning point in the villain's life."

Is this how to create a good villain? If so, this is bad advice.
You need melodrama, otherwise no one will believe it.
Why do you want your villain to be sympathetic, anyway? You want your readers to like your hero (by whatever means necessary) and hate your villain (by whatever means necessary, no matter how cheap). This isn't hard, people.
Now there's a book review of a book no one has ever heard of before.

I just ate a fish for dinner, and afterward, my mom told me...she found a worm in the fish.

"WHY DID YOU SERVE FISH WITH WORMS IN IT?"
I'm not sure what it is with me and Kay (although my friend has similar opinions, so at least I'm not alone). I picked up Ysabel, which was lavishly praised on the back of Under Heaven and won the World Fantasy Award, apparently.

Oh, the World Fantasy Award. What prestige.

This may sound like false modesty, but I swear I am being sincere to the bottom of my heart: I've performed academically above my own expectations.

>false modesty
>performed above expectations
I don't get how modesty works sometimes. Maybe she was being modest before? Underestimating your abilities is modest, I guess.
Wouldn't modesty be more like "I think I can do this thing and hey, I sure can do it" and wouldn't ego be something like "yeah I'm the best in the whole universe"?
(Yeah, I'm scared by violence in movies...so what??!)

Pussy.
Speaking of a good old spot of ultraviolence, I saw that new Solomon Kane movie. What a bunch of fucking shit that was.
If there's one character that doesn't need an origins story (70 years after the author died, no less) it's Solomon Kane. Here's his story: he kills evil people. There it is. I don't need to hear about how he was a violent and greedy mercenary captain of noble birth who was bound for Hell until he-- yawn.
Here's a picture of her desktop that I'm looking at for some reason.
>Mac
>casual video game background
wow here's a big shocker.

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. With colorful cel-shaded graphics and 1:1 swordplay. (And Link finally learns how to run.)

>finally learns to run
>he's been dashing since Link's Awakening
You don't play video games, do you? Also he ran all over the fucking place in the N64 ones but OH THOSE GRAPHICS ARE UGLY SO I SKIPPED THOSE.
Also I was kind of liking the darker graphics of Skyward Sword. It looked like a Zelda game that's actually different from the other ones post-Majora's Mask. I was even thinking about getting that one when it came out, but nope.

Kirby's Epic Yarn. I didn't even like Kirby games,

How can you not like Kirby games? Do you have no soul, woman?
Epic Mickey is looking very nice.

No it's not.

I was fiddling around with Final Fantasy IV (the DS remake) which has been kind of fun so far, but no matter how much I try not to let my opinions about the story interfere, I can't help it. I know I can't really blame the scenario writers because

Because the game is 19 years old and a "sweeping, epic story" was literally impossible with 1991 technology?
You have to give it credit. Any kind of character development was a new thing back then.
Main character Cecil has to change jobs from Dark Knight to Paladin because clearly being a Dark Knight is tainting his soul and making him unable to defeat evil with evil, but if he becomes a Shining Paladin of Light he can put his Troubled Bloodstained Past behind him and be a Good Person and a True Hero!
Hey that sounds pretty good, actually. That sounds like a classic redemption plot with no ham-fisted romance subplot that drones on for 40 hours. What's wrong with this?
The way I see it, there are only two advantages to Cecil becoming a Paladin: 1) he gets a cool cape, and 2) he becomes a freaking tank.

His stat gains double, he learns healing spells, he can equip weapons and armor that aren't shit-- you never beat the game, did you?
I don't know whether that outweighs the disadvantage of him going from level 25-ish all the way back to level 1

Level 10 paladin is stronger than 25 dark knight so it's no big deal.

Unfortunately, none of the other characters strike me as particularly interesting.

girlsplayingvideogames.png

I was Bootcamping my family's shiny new iMac in order to play Assassin's Creed (which I've been dying to play forever).

Soooo you're using an operating system to emulate an operating system to run a game that I suspect has very steep system requirements. I bet you're amazed it DOESN'T WORK GOOD (sic) (or at all).
I got it to work wonderfully, but then I later ran the Mac's Disk Utility, which gave me a critical error.

Oh, huh.
But I thought Macs JUST WORK.

Nothing worked to fix it, and eventually it progressed to the point where the iMac would shut down while booting up.

In the end, I had to completely wipe the hard drive and reformat it.

Meanwhile in PC land I can play Assassin's Creed or FFXIV to my heart's content.
Sure is good being me~

(Maybe I should give in and buy a PS3 or XBox 360 after all? *shot*)

You own a Mac. It's not like you're part of the glorious PC gaming master race in the first place. Peasant.
Why do people complain when an RPG is Wii-exclusive? Hello? The PS3/XBox360 has a huge library of RPGs already (FFXIII, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, White Knight Chronicles, etc. etc.) !!

Only one of these is worth playing, though.
Here's her review of Dante's Inferno (the vidya) wherein she admits she doesn't own it and hasn't played it. Brilliant.

I can't speak as to the originality/lack thereof in the game, considering I can't get it and would never want to play it anyway. My interest stemmed from a curiosity as to how the developers were interpreting the Inferno, which I read (though I preferred Purgatorio better).

>likes the boring chapter of the Divine Comedy better than the part with Satan
I don't even know what the fuck anymore.

I was partly amused and partly horrified at the changes. Instead of a fainting poet, Dante is now a scythe-wielding Crusader who fights his way through the nine circles of Hell.

When you say "scythe-wielding Crusader who fights his way through the nine circles of Hell" like it's a bad thing I'm pretty sure you lose 90% of your audience who was agreeing with you before.
The game wasn't great (it was good enough) but the criticism you're making so far is pretty silly.
I don't even want to think about the horrors of the circle of Lust.

Well as someone who actually bothered to play the game before writing a review, let me tell you what happens: you fight giant, snake-woman Cleopatra up a giant elevator contraption who eventually vomits up Mark Antony, who you then battle to the death. Then Cleopatra implodes for some reason.
Yes, I'm biased against violent games in general, but how about a puzzle-based platformer à la Ico, using Virgil to help Dante get around?

I said it should have been like Pokemon Snap but whatever. Your criticism seems more like "this game is icky and gross and not like my casual Facetube games at all."

Heh, funny that I thought of Ico/Shadow of the Colossus. I've barely seen Ico, though I've watched some gameplay of Shadow of the Colossus, and it creeped the living daylights out of me.

>the game I haven't played should be more like the other game I haven't played
WHAT THE FUCK, MAN.
She then goes on to call FFXIII a good game so I think this review is ending here before I get pissed.
Also here's my official summary of FFXIV:If these are dodos I don't know how they went extinct.
They slap your shit for 300 points of damage and then vomit all over you and you're dead. Keep the fuck away, man.

1 comment:

Taranaich said...

Speaking of a good old spot of ultraviolence, I saw that new Solomon Kane movie. What a bunch of fucking shit that was.
If there's one character that doesn't need an origins story (70 years after the author died, no less) it's Solomon Kane. Here's his story: he kills evil people. There it is. I don't need to hear about how he was a violent and greedy mercenary captain of noble birth who was bound for Hell until he-- yawn.


You're a man after my own heart.