Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Blah blah

Blah taking time out of my busy day of Warhammer playing to grace you peasants with an update how noble of me~
Here it is.
The post that attracted my attention is this:

Language can cause harm.

For clarification: This video is a response from disability activists to the producers of Tropic Thunder for the gratuitous use of an ableist slur. The video uses the slur for impact.

Man up, girls. Also for you college educated nerds (OH NO OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE) an ableist is someone who discriminates based on disability. Not to be confused with an arbiter, which is a judge. Language can only harm if you let it. If you let someone hurt you with their mean words then you're giving them power over you.

Now there's a news story about a woman who was strangled to death by her boyfriend. That fact is not in dispute, apparently, but what is in dispute is whether or not he murdered her. Uhh. Apparently she had some auto-erotic asphyxiation thing going. Here's what our brilliant analyist had to say:

Like Helen, I wonder how she knows this. Of course, it’s another example of “defend the criminal by discrediting the victim.”

She didn't know that. She couldn't know that. She's a lawyer. Contrary to what you well-wishing types think, lawyers don't deal in the truth. Their success isn't measured based on their ability to find the truth. It's measured in the quality of the story they tell.

Now there's some shit about feminist theory or queer theory or something. Ever since I took Critical Literary Theory my eyes involuntarily cross whenever I read words like this so I'll just keep moving. My advice, though, would probably be "stop being such a boorish idiot" but I can't say that for sure since I didn't read the post.

And what a fracking useless application of social constructionist theory.

It's okay I'm pretty sure your parents won't read this.

For someone who bangs on and on about literary critical theory she seems to be afraid of words. Avoiding the word "fuck", telling me straight that I shouldn't use certain words because someone might be offended isn't the thinking of an educated adult. The words of someone who has read a lot of books, perhaps, but being educated and being well-read rarely are the same.

Also this is a transsexual woman. I don't know which direction that goes. Is that a girl who became a guy or the other way around? Well whatever.

She's now angered that Sweden proposed all transsexual people be sterilized. Granted that does sound a little Nazi-esque, I'm fairly certain almost all transsexuals can't have children due to the hormones they take anyway, so I'm not sure the point of this ruling. Either way I'm sure anyone with a brain in Sweden in charge of this said "we can't do this holy shit everyone will call us Nazis."

Another Woman Dead, The Blogosphere Largely Doesn̢۪t Notice

What is a blogosphere? Nevermind, I don't even want to know. Good Christ. I'm going to assume the "blogosphere" is the blogging community, in which case no, no they wouldn't notice because they're too busy being pretentious pricks with a slightly different brand of pretentious than your favorite. Your favorite being "look how well-read I am I get to be so outraged at everything."

To me, the mark of the educated (versus the well-read, I made that distinction earlier) is doubt. If ever there was a thought worthy of worship, it's doubt. Doubt is what gets things done. While she's certain all this fury thrown into the void of the internet makes any bit of difference, I doubt her stand every bit of the way.

Her use of "personhood" is really dumb. So afraid of gender words, I see. For someone who proudly stands as being a woman you sure do retreat behind ambiguous words like that.

Here’s the truth- even in death,

unfortunately this sentence didn't end in "I STILL SERVE" so apparently whoever this is isn't a Space Marine Dreadnought, so I don't really care what they have to say.

This tells us a lot about how institutions act out ideological biases–transphobia, misognyny, racism, ableism, homophobia, classism, and so on. Some lives are more valuable than others, some lives are more worth saving than others, some people deserve better treatment than others.

"Deserve" is such a tricky word. Do they deserve it? Probably not. Do they get it? Yes. Taking a stand on the internet won't change anything, though. All that frivilous reading won't accomplish anything, except to perpetuate your own tortured philosophies.

This is like philosophy for the criminally unimaginative. What possible use do all of these words have? Yes. A transsexual woman was murdered and no one was outraged-- but how many people are murdered daily and they aren't even reported by the media?
That's why you, specifically, don't command special treatment. It's because you see the world in strictly binary lines: you are transsexual, therefore only things that affect transsexuals affect you. Nevermind that no matter your gender, race or whatever else you're still human and should therefore be primarily concerned with the exploits of humanity, instead of just your own factional standings.

I'm not going to say "if you were one of the elite you wouldn't be saying these things since the system would benefit you" because I can't know that. I have a feeling, based on your petty, superficial understanding of humanity I'd be willing to wager you wouldn't.

Also I just went back and reread my post and the phrase "man up, girls" carries an almost prophetic tone to it, because I didn't know at the the time the poster was a dude. Err, girl.
Whatever.
See that's why people are afraid of transsexuals. It's confusing for them. People get scared when they're confused.
So whatever this is boring I'm going to play some more Warhammer.

No comments: