Wednesday, May 16, 2012

eCrusader

I'm going to force the term "eCrusader" into common parlance, I've decided. There's nothing as humorous, douchey or pretentious as an eCrusader. Here's someone who takes a stand for shit and, because she told all her cunt friends on Twitter about it, she actually thinks she did her part in fighting the evils of the world.
This is the exact same misstep of logic that pussy sensitivity made: "raising awareness" is just a soft way of saying "I did fuck all but was vaguely aware of the issue."
Anyway, let your weapon hang and give your sword arm a rest, sister of the cross.
Join us in standing up for reproductive health and education. Planned Parenthood, the organization that delivers reproductive health care, sex education and information to millions of people worldwide, has come under fire in the U.S.
This is a common copy pastey thing that's going around.
Not even two entries in and already I'm barraged by the crusade line.
If you're from the UK and you believe in freedom of speech and an uncensored interenet, you really need to sign this petition. 
EAAAAAASY THERE, SISTER.
Hone your zeal.
If you let your anger burn too brightly it's liable to consume itself in the conflagration of hate.
The National Center for Biotechnology Information conducted a study on social conditions for Oregon teens and how they affected suicide rates. They found that 21.5% of the queer kids had attempted to commit suicide, whereas their straight counterparts had a percentage of 4.2.
"The archer who aims for too many targets is liable to miss them all," a Zen monk said once.
But my my, aren't you aware of the issues.
Personally I question why the National Center for Biotechnology Information is researching suicide rates in teens but that's just me.
A typical day for a queer teen in an unfriendly environment involves constantly hiding pieces of themselves from friends and family, and often listening to their classmates use their orientation as if it were somehow an insult. 9 out of 10 queer teens have reported being bullied, and out of this number, half added that this included physical harassment, and another quarter were physically attacked.
Sounds like high school in general to me.
Not to make light of this issue but seriously, aren't we all hiding parts of ourselves at any given time?
There's this thing that people don't learn anymore and it's called speaking to an audience and I won't go into great lengths to describe it but suffice it to say it's a thing you can do.
For example, you wouldn't say "fuck" around your grandmother.
Or maybe you would, I don't know you, but I might consider saying another word.
So do you talk about things other than the issues you aren't facing?
Okay, so I don't usually do this, but this is an issue near and dear to me and this is getting very little no attention in the mainstream media.
You don't do this very often?
Every single post has been this.
Mississippi is voting on November 8th on whether to pass Amendment 26, the "Personhood Amendment". This amendment would grant fertilized eggs and fetuses personhood status.
But thankfully the fetuses seem unlikely to turn out in record numbers to vote for this and they're only 3/8ths of a person anyway--
Wait no that's something else. My mistake.
Putting aside the contentious issue of abortion, this would effectively outlaw birth control and criminalize women who have miscarriages. This is not a good thing. 
Criminalize women for miscarriages in the same way it criminalizes mothers who have lost children to cancer, maybe.
I mean it's a bullshit law don't get me wrong but it doesn't need your help in sounding more ridiculous.
The reason I'm posting this here is because I made a meager donation to the Jackson Women's Health Organization this morning, and I received a personal email back hours later - on a Sunday - thanking me and noting that I'm one of the first "outside" people to contribute.
Well if they're going under I'd want my donation back.
That's 15 dollars in drinks at the local drug store I'll never be able to buy. WHO ELSE WILL TRY ALL THAT CRAP NO ONE HAS EVER TRIED BEFORE?
So if you sometimes pass on political action because you figure that enough other people will do something to make a difference, make an exception on this one. My RSS reader is near silent on this amendment. I only found out about it through a feminist blog.
Feminist blogs, man. It sure has been a while since I've done one of those.
- If you can afford it, you can donate at the site's link.
 Oh I'd be more than happy to donate--
but I just got Diablo III you see and well--
I figured stemming the forces of the Burning Hells was more important than some clinic in Mississippi. I look at the big picture, see.
And you may argue that the Burning Hells are fictional to which I would respond "has anyone been attacked by a demon today?"
I think not. I think I got this shit.
Since I just had some revealing discussions that both ended in my conversational partner all but saying "I am a douchebag", I've had an interesting opportunity to vent my spleen. 
Gee wonder why that would happen?
Background: some genius at Inception Kink requested fic of Joseph Gordon-Levitt paired with a hitRECorder. Some other genius wrote it, citing hitRECord chat interactions as part of their basis for canon. 
Inception Kink.
Joseph Gordon--
Words.
We haven't even reached the issue yet and already I'm prepared to call you a douchebag.
That particular hitRECorder and other hitRECords in general are understandably freaked the fuck out, and contacted the mods. The mods, in their infinite wisdom, decided that it is the right of random creepers on the internet to write fiction about real people, even when said real people feel uncomfortable and violated.
People, especially women, like it when you write creepy things to them.
That's what Twilight has taught me.
That's why I make sure to write daily love letters to Namie Amuro.
She's just playing coy now.
I don't even know what this is about and I don't care. It all seems very silly and I'm sure I don't have time for it.
Would you be upset if a long-term partner confessed that s/he'd committed a serious crime before you met? How do you think it would affect your relationship?
I think I'd be more upset if she hadn't committed a serious crime.
As long as it was something sexy and not "DWI that lead into a low speed police chase through Dallas" or something.
Also when I signed into Diablo III today this greeted me:

Ouph, that's harsh.
I thought you were the lord of terror, Diablo, not the lord of depression and existential angst.
Anyway I reached the beginning of this blog so I'm going to go do something the fuck else.

No comments: