Thursday, January 17, 2013

IT HAPPENED.

Someone commented that's not too happy with my blog.
She's not mad, though.
I guess thoughtful?
I dunno.
Also 1/11 there's a comment.
So many fucking comments holy fuck.
Anyway the woman is glad that the blogger I commented on had an outlet.
I agree.
Just don't put it on the internet and not expect people like me to find it.
Commenting on their outlet is my outlet.
What the fuck is a Type Pad?
I don't know but here's one.
There is a STEM crisis in the United States. STEM stands for science, technology, engineering, and math. The U.S. ranks 25th in math and 17th in science among the 65 countries participating in PISA, the Program for International Student Assessment. 
Is it a crisis when you're still in the top half?
I assume the 65 countries tested where the top 65 economic powers.
25 and 17 would put you in the top 10 percentile.
Is that a crisis?
The STEM crisis is exacerbated by the shifting demographics. Whites make up 73 percent of the STEM workforce. Blacks and Latinos, who represent 28 percent of the U.S. population, make up only seven percent of STEM workers. 
Blacks and Latinos are 28% of the population.
100-28 = 72%.
72% of the population commands 73% of a given category of jobs.
Is that a crisis?
Fast forward to today. The shifting demographics and minority underrepresentation in STEM fields threaten our global competitiveness and national security. To borrow a phrase from President Obama’s election night speech, “We have to fix that.” To do so, we should go back to the future and give STEM a makeover. 
"We have to fix that"-- first uttered by Obama.
Also how is that in any way affecting global competitiveness?
By my reckoning 100% of Chinese jobs are controlled by the Chinese.
Is that a crisis for the Chinese?
I am trying to encourage kids to do something that isn’t yet on their mind because it is not in popular culture. Popular culture tells you “music, music, sports, sports.” It neglects the importance of a STEM education.
An innovator, will.i.am is rebranding STEM and making space history. For the first time, a recorded song was transmitted to Earth from another planet. His song, “Reach for the Stars,” was beamed down from the Mars Curiosity rover to NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. How cool is that? 
I really hope there aren't Martians now.
That's their first taste of Terran culture.
It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to know the current approaches to STEM education are not working. According to the 2009 National Assessment of Educational Progress, only four percent of African American 12th graders were proficient in science. By contrast, 27 percent of white seniors and 36 percent of Asian American seniors performed at or above the proficient level. 
By contrast whites and Asians were less shitty.
That sounds like a problem in general, not just for black people.
I plan a fresh start in 2013 with Philly Phresh Start, a project to promote science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) among African American youth. I will apply the lessons learned from my year as a civic innovator to connect STEM to students’ day-to-day realities and interests.
Civic innovator.
That's a career path.
That is a job you can have.
I’m a policy wonk and doer. This time last year, I didn’t have a clue what happened at a hackathon. I associated hackers with bad guys who stole identities and broke into websites. So you can imagine my delight to be introduced to a community of civic-minded hackers. Hackathons provide a platform for problem-solvers and do-gooders to collaborate and create interesting things. 
That doesn't sound like hacking.
Hacking has a fairly narrow definition.
My first hackathon was Random Hacks of Kindness in December 2011 at Drexel University. There, my team developed a prototype for the Cost of Freedom App to help users navigate their state’s voter ID application process. The app was reengineered by a hacker who works for Google at the Voting Information Project (VIP) Hackathon. 
Sounds like software engineering to me.
A lot of awesome prototypes are developed at hackathons. But to have an impact, the project must be sustained beyond the weekend. Like romance, a prototype without finance doesn’t stand a chance. 
All bitches care about is money.
This is coming from a PC liberal hippie woman.
Proof.
1000000 posts about the election--
Wonder if I count as a civil innovator since I post about this bullshit on my blog no one reads too--
Last week, President Obama announced his support for same-sex marriage. Newsweek has since labeled Obama “The First Gay President.”
... I don't think that's how that works.
Well he did get a Nobel Peace Prize for using unmanned drones to kill people so I guess it is how that works when you're Obama.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the unemployment rate “changed little” in April. The jobless rate fell from 8.2 percent to 8.1 percent.

The black unemployment rate was 13 percent in April, down from 14 percent in March.
This is terrible.
I wish there was something more I could say.
The jobs report don't tell the whole story. While private sector added 130,000 jobs in April, state and local governments shed 15,000 employees. A recent study by the Economic Policy Institute found that African Americans and women are hit hardest by downsizing in the public sector
... Blacks and women can't cut it in the private sector, what?
Women are almost half of the workforce. They are the equal, if not main, breadwinner in four out of ten families. They receive more college and graduate degrees than men. Yet, on average, women continue to earn considerably less than men.
Let's apply some PC logic and say that it's fair men make more because they're underprivileged in the degree category.
Here's a post saying technology is racist (really)--
I am a doer or in the jargon of programmers, a problem-solver.

So it is an honor to be named one of the “Top Ten Race & Civil Liberties Bloggers on Twitter.” After all, in the age of Obama, race still matters.
Yeah me too but unlike you I actually solve real problems people have.
Anyway fuck blogs.

No comments: