Monday, August 20, 2012

MMMMMICROFONT

Hope you have your reading spectacles on because this is Livejournal.In grand (new) tradition let's start with the ONTD_Political article I found this shit from:
Poly-Baiting: Why We Need a More Inclusive LGBTQ Movement
I mean come the fuck on. Only five labels affixed to your organization?
Are you even trying to be inclusive?
Poly-Baiting: Why We Need a More Inclusive LGBTQ Movement

by Vivienne Chen

Anti-LGBTQ campaigners have often used the issue of polyamory–or rather, a twisted media presentation of “polygamy,” which is distinct from ethical nonmonogamy and polyamory–as a slippery slope argument against LGBTQ equality, particularly when it comes to marriage.

The worse thing is? LGBTQ activists left and right take the bait.
Indeed.
INDEED.
GET YOUR FUCKING ACT TOGETHER, LGBTQ.
Ask me what group I've joined.
Go ahead.
lgbttiqq2sa
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM.
Lesbian, Gay, Transsexual...
T--
Queer--
Something--
NEEDLESS TO SAY I AM WAY MORE INCLUSIVE THAN YOU ARE FUCK YOU.
Just as Santorum fears, I believe entirely in the possibility of a “slippery slope” between queer and poly/NM relationship acceptance. However, I challenge the fundamental assumptions underlying the so-called “dangerousness” of this slope. After all, not too long ago in history, a relationship was about the marital union of one man and one man’s property colloquially known as a woman. 
God those were good times.
UHH I MEAN--
wait no--
fuck.
Are my labels in trouble now?
Then, we as a society redefined relationships between men and women to be about love and commitment as equals, with or without marriage. Now, we are fighting for a genderless distinction.

But if LGBTQ activists continue to say that relationships are really about committing to the people we love regardless of gender, race, creed, etc., then maybe society should allow us to commit to the people (plural) we love. Note the assumption here: I believe it is, in fact, possible for some people to love more than one person.
I don't even know what this means for my labels.
Can I just opt into this now and let the community of label affixers decide on a label later?
Is there a label of the month club join?
Is there a book I can get?
You know like a stamp book or those coin sleeve things?
In order to build a more inclusive LGBTQ equality/acceptance movement, we as activists need to learn how to combat the poly-baiting that occurs on the opponent’s side. Regardless of your own personal opinions about the feasibility or acceptability of an open or non-monogamous relationship, we need to have the language to call out anti-equality bigots on their bullshit and false logical assumptions every time they make a “LGBTQ relationships = polyamory (= bestiality = total sexual depravity)” comment.
I can't believe
of ALL the labels you've affixed to your diverse, rainbow coalition
not a single one of you can outdo this logic.
I'm a completely hereosexual white guy and I can outsmart this logic.
Maybe you should add "heterosexual white guy" label to your body and maybe you'll finally get somewhere.
Anyway, on to the blog itself.
Didn't mean to dwell on this as long as I did but what can I say?
Talk of labels gets me all hot and bothered.
My major projects right now include working out and not developing an eating disorder. The former is easier than the latter. I really feel like I need to go back to school to save me from myself. I love my job and I'm proud of what I do, but I feel like school is what I need to take my focus off of my body and put it back on the aspects of myself that actually matter.
Like affixing labels to your body.
All right I'll stop.
I'm just fucking around.
Good things are happening. Arda's gotten a new warehouse with tons of space, and we're moving in this week. All of us get our own office space now, which is nice. We went to the antique market and I bought a mid-century green metal military desk that I absolutely love.
I have 2 warehouses in EVE Online now.
If my math is correct they are several thousand miles in all directions.
I use them to store a mountain of cocaine and alloyed tritanium bars.
And armor plates.
And meth.
Basically if you've seen the movie Blow where they have that room of coke and money that's my daily existence in EVE.
AND I GOT IT
WITH MY OWN TWO HANDS.
There's a picture of you.
You look like that annoying bitch in that poetry class I had who would never shut her fucking mouth.
Just full of pretentiousness and ignorant opinions about fucking everything.
SYLVIA PLATH IS AN AMAZING POET AND FEMINIST AND BLAAAAAAAAAH
Yeah and for all her worldly talents she still stuck her head in the oven.
She nearly killed the guy in the floor below her too, the selfish bitch.
Incidentally I never read a Sylvia Plath poem that made me think "here's someone we should be reading collectively as an institution of education."
Today in the car I spent ten minutes shouting about people who call marriage equality ~assimilationist~ and then ten minutes shouting about people who don't understand logistics.

I had a very stressful day and I'm not sure if ontd_p helps or makes it worse.
I spent part of the day yesterday being accosted by the police over doing literally nothing at all.
Thank you the police state of the US.
We bought a cargo van, used, just a few days ago. It went in for a bunch of repairs before we purchased it, so it's in great condition, except I knew it needed a front end alignment. I was in a hurry, though, and I didn't realize just how much it needed an alignment, or how fast that would cause the tires (which started out in great condition) to wear down.
What are you, stupid?
Rhetorical question.
I bought a Wreathe in EVE Online to move the tons of Mexallon I've been making.
Let me tell you in a seventeen paragraph post/action plan about how awesome this ship is.
No I'm not going to do that.
Why?
Mostly because I don't feel like writing it but also because I'M NOT A DUMB CUNT ON LIVEJOURNAL.
Instead I'm going to tell you about FFXIV.
I feel like I've been neglecting FFXIV in this blog a lot but that isn't the case in real life.
The simple fact is in FFXIV I have transcended petty notions like "leveling up" and "needing money".
Did you ever write so much and type for so long that you start to feel like you really only know two sorts of sentence structure and you're just trying to hide that fact by rearranging things so it sounds more interesting?
Can't say I have, no.
Maybe I'm just naturally gifted but I find I never run into the problems these cunts seem to run into while writing.
The girl looks at him – really looks at him, from head to toe – as she takes a long drag off her cigarette. She tilts her head back, never glancing away, and lets the smoke flow in heavy curtains from between coral lips. The effect is slightly disconcerting, and Eames is starting to get agitated when she finally lifts her head again and says, “All right, I’ve got it. You should walk up to him and say, ‘I think we should fuck.’ Or if you really wanna put it more elegantly, say, ‘I think you’re beautiful, and I wanna see what you’d look like riding my dick.’”
It's terrible.
Kill yourself.
I would love to hear opinions from social justice advocates and writers and people from all sorts of marginalized groups on this subject.
Oh boy.
Harl and I have been trying to hammer out this novel we want to write for like two years now, and I think we've finally got all the general ideas down. It was originally going to be straight-up comedic steampunk, but we've made a lot of changes. It's now a steampunk fantasy mashup, still comedic but also a bit actiony and dramatic, I suppose; we'll see where that takes us. The archnemesis has now become an antihero. The former main character is getting a name change. The plot is totally different.
What is it about steampunk that makes people think it'd be a great setting to set a novel that will make money?
Name one successful novel labeled "steampunk" by the author.
No, you're not allowed to co-opt H.G. Wells. 
My biggest issue through this whole process has been writing a story where women and POC and queers all have a place and it's not standing behind the white straight male leads.
Yeah I have a big problem with that, too.
It's like I need a character that can get shit done without whining about it and--
Oh shit there go all my labels.
MOTHER
FUCK.
 If we couldn't do that, we'd scrap the project. The three main characters at the moment are a a queer Asian man, a queer white man, and a black woman of as yet indeterminate sexual preference who's the brains and the money and the power behind the outfit.
>White man
nope.
Maybe if he were a half black and half white--
and he were INTERSEXED--
and had two different color eyes--
AND A CONJOINED TWIN GROWING OUT OF HIS STOMACH BUT IT'S JUST A FACE AND IT SECRETLY CONTROLS HIS THOUGHTS--
then we'd have a character.
The real issue became writing something that's steampunk and also diverse. We wanted the book to not strike too close to home for marginalized readers because it's meant to be funny and it's meant to be escapist.
>Escapist
>book where black women have brains and money
are you saying black women typically aren't smart in reality?
Fucking racist.
What I want more than anything is more media where queer characters are just characters who are queer and not characters whose lives and stories are about being queer. The same goes for women.
Well I can recommend the movie Yojimbo for you, then.
Okay it's not about queers--
and I think there's like two women in the entire movie and both of them have less than a minute of dialogue--
but it is a 100% Asian cast.
And Toshiro Mifune beheads a bitch.
I would suppose that there are people of color out there who feel the same way about characters of color, though of course I can't speak to that. The real problem is that you can't write a ~just slightly different Victorian era~ and have a character who's marginalized whose primary struggle is anything but one against their own marginalization regardless of what the plot throws at them.
He also throws a knife through a motherfucker.
I'm hoping that this is okay, and I feel like it just might be since at this point, this alternate world doesn't just serve to level the playing field in some ways; the entire plot revolves around the circumstances of this particular alternate world.
 Sorry I forgot to pay attention.
I was just watching this boring scene with a typical boring white guy protagonist.
We wouldn't be able to write this book without utterly rearranging social and political reality. 
No, can't write a good book without doing that.
Seriously am I the only person that focuses on telling a good story?
Story of Yojimbo/A Fistful of Dollars:
lone wanderer drifts into a town with two gangs. There are like 5 innocent people left in the town so the lone wanderer decides to play the two sides against each other and murders basically everyone in the process.
Roll credits.
10/10 would watch again.
And I do feel like it's a mistake to take any area of marginalization as a given state; there have been societies throughout history where sexism, classism, racism, homophobia, etc. have not existed or not fit the mold we think of now. So I feel like if we take this Earth and give it an alternate history that's utterly changed the entire landscape of the planet, why not give our characters who would be marginalized in real life, especially in generic steampunk Victorian London, a chance to shine as something other than marginalized characters?
But you picked an Asian man for your lead.
Do you want to tell Bruce Lee or Toshiro Mifune he's marginalized?
You'd probably get punched in the solar plexus. 
Why not let our black woman be the genius CEO of her own company and have her race and gender be accepted by her social circle but her other character traits pose a threat to her position?
I mean you can do that but it doesn't magically make a good story, you know.
Ohhhhh goodness. I'm done with this garbage.

No comments: