Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hey ponder this, Socrates:

WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU SO BORING?
Goddamn I wanted a blog to review, not the world's first no-drug insomnia cure.
I hate junior philosophers, mostly because they think they have something significant to contribute to society, as if anyone actually gave a shit about philosophy. In terms of philosophical movements all are about equal to each other, so just pick the one with the coolest name and say you're that. Alternatively, you could pick Zen which is basically the ultimate troller's philosophy.
So, as I mentioned a very long time ago, I've been forum going again, and (for reasons unknown) waded into a debate about how scientific method applies to religion.

Science does not apply to religion. This is like saying Math applies to English. Perhaps tangentially (mathematical proofs can bet written in English, for instance) these are separate disciplines.

So really, this is another debate about Hume's criticisms of inductive logic?

Oh boy David Hume. Snore.

Firstly, that science is effectively conditional.

I had another sentence typed that actually trounced this logic but then I'd look like as much of a bore as this bore, so instead I'll just go with the tried and true: firstly, "your" dumb
By it's very nature, science can't explain the why.

its* also science can and does explain why regularly.
Either our universe was created by the Big Bang, which arose from a singularity, or it was created by some kind of higher power.

Oh my God you suck so much at philosophy. I'm not even trying to be hardcore pro either, you just really suck at deductive reasoning.
Long, rambling post later: he's trying to make an argument out of first cause, essentially that something had to "start" the universe and without knowing the nature of this event all subsequent events are unknown and unknowable, which if you think that you are provably wrong. In fact, science can know relatively little about how the universe was created but still be perfectly comfortable concluding shit about unrelated subjects, such as biology.
So, I quite often come up with little hypotheticals. Small musings on a scenario that offers a little escapism from the restrictions of my current existence.

Oh, gag. That's douche for "I fantasize when I'm bored."
(Most of those restrictions come in the form of "Must not get arrested", but that's neither here nor there)

I hate that phrase. "Neither here nor there" all right, if it isn't here and it isn't there then it has to be somewhere, doesn't it? Fuck you. You suck, kill yourself. Also yeah you're so badass you'll throw down and get arrested. Right. No, I believe it. Go screw.
Everyone who thinks otherwise, and whinges about how much Placebo have changed, should go back and listen to their first, self titled album.

Oh boy a Placebo fan. Now I know to immediately disregard anything you say about anything.
Have you ever taken a personality test like the Myers-Briggs or Enneagram?

No because I'm not a huge bore who worries about what the internet thinks of me.
In ten years time, my ultimate ambition is to be married to Lauren, possibly with kids. She'll be a highly paid doctor, and I'll be free to hang around the house, look after the kids, and potter around and pretend to write my novel.

WRITE MY NOVEL. It'll suck. Also cool dream: I plan to mooch off my wife. I'm sure she'll be appreciative.
I'd make an awesome house husband. And even with the kids, and the whole pretending to write a novel thing, I'd get so damn good at Guitar Hero....

:|

2. What is the best book/book series you've ever read? Why?

In before some shit no one has ever heard of/general shit.
So far, Wars Of Light and Shadow by Janny Wurts. It's written in the most overly descriptive, florid, bizarre style, and it's very cliche in places, but I'm very fond of it, and I've been reading it for years.

Oh great, florid and cliche, my two favorite words to describe my favorite books. You're a douche.
Meanwhile the actual greatest story ever told, The Odyssey, is fucking rad. That's how I'd summarize it in two words or less. It has been a slow decline for literature ever since.
4. If you could be anyone other than you, who would you be?

Wow what a dumb question. I bet he has a lengthy answer for this one, though, as if he actually has thought about it before (people with anything at all to do with their lives haven't).
Well, as most people are aware, I started out in Genetics.

Yes. Most people.

It's my birthday. I'm 21. That's a strange and far off notion.

Oh we're the same age. Where did you go so hideously wrong?

However, I did end up with a hand and a half bastard sword. Which is nice.

I'd say this is scary but I'm sure it's too heavy for your candy ass to swing in any other direction besides vertically and horizontally, making your movement arc pitiful.
I did however also get a pocket watch with "The owls are not what they seem" inscribed on the inside.

Wow that's really cool. You're a really cool bro.
So in other news, I've given serious thought to retitling this collection of expositions "Pseudo-science: Wouldn't it be cool if?".

Translation from Douche to English: "I'm going to rename my blog something even gayer!"
Holy shit now there's a post about semantics that seriously made me forget to breathe. Wow, dude, this is serious.

A cooking show for the non sequitur crowd.

I-- what?
So, next semester's subjects are determined. Judgement and Decision Making, Attitudes and Social Cognitions, Intergroup and Relations and Processes, and Evolutionary Approaches to Psychology.

Judgment is actually spelled without an 'e'. Just putting it out there because I figured my pro at language (using Latin in sentences, what are you, me?) should know something like that.
In my newly found quest for some kind of spiritual erudition

Translation from Douche to English: "I'm trying to be wise."
Let me give you a protip for your stupid book, asshole: it's not what words you use, it's how you use them. No one gives a shit if you know the word erudition (from erudite, from Latin erudire, to instruct, see it's not hard) it's what you do with it.
Goddamn.

No comments: