Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Oh shit I'm sorry

Sorry for what?
I forgot to update for like a week.
For the sake of peace of mind, I think I've decided to conclude that the anonymous comment calling me a bully was a random troll.
Because it has been rather bothering me, and I have no idea who it could possibly be otherwise. Discussing it with my housemates, the people who've shared my daily life for something like the last five years (and been my friends for far longer), we have come up with not a single plausible candidate - we had one vague idea for someone who might think I'm a bully based on an incident about six or seven years ago, but she's Australian, and the IP is American. (Also, I don't think she's likely to be obsessively still following my journal, and seriously, I haven't spoken to her since that incident.)
So someone called you an asshole
and instead of saying "yeah fuck yourself" you instead decided to call an intervention on yourself and review everything you've done the for the past six years?
I'm thinking of writing a monograph
A monograph.
Or essay, as we say.
Of sorts, at least. On the theme of intra-community censure and the power dynamics of speech and silencing - I'll come up with a more coherent way to express that when I start organising my data, this is just kind of a call for data submissions.
...
What?
I'm just going to call you a cunt now because goddamn.
Essentially: If you, or someone you know, has been intimidated, or silenced, or in some way pressured within fandom, by a perpetrator or perpetrators who are protected in some way by fandom's hierarchies of status and personal relationships, please tell me about it.
How much of a social justice warrior do you have to be
to be bitching about other social justice warriors?
Autotune annoys me, for a number of reasons. I don't like how bland it makes voices - it strips out all the depth, to me.

But, you know, some people like that, and some careers are kinda built on it. The price, of course, is that prefab pop princesses who can't actually sing will get mocked for that.

Except then Autotune became a thing, where denatured vocals somehow became some kind of "normal", and so you get more of it, and you also get a lot of undeserved hate forming.
God who gives a shit
listen to real music
Party in the USA: Miley Cyrus, notably Autotuned to standard prefab pop princess levels. Standard video clip; she's distinguished from every other young singer product by the well-worn cowboy boots in which she has faint hints of boot-scooting, and her relatively age-appropriate clothing.

So, people presume, she's just another prefab, and the faint hints of country in her dress and dancing are because she's the daughter of Billy Ray Cyrus, and everyone still faintly resents that stupid stupid song of his anyway, so hate on Miley Cyrus, because misogyny anyway, and stuff.
Yes, the reason people hate that song is because of misogyny and not because it's fucking garbage.
I had a very satisfying experience recently: bringing enlightenment to the unenlightened.
Today I saw a young wiseman.
I'm glad to see the wisdom endures.
Kaesong is closing, but...

"No-one should be allowed to throw a region, even the whole world, into chaos for selfish gains," Chinese president Xi Jinping told the Bo'ao Asia Forum in southern China on Sunday.

Although he did not mention North Korea by name, Mr Xi's remarks were taken as a clear warning to Pyongyang, which is hugely dependent on China's economic and diplomatic support.
Oh good.
Thanks, China.
Two countries are on the brink of nuclear armageddon and you sent the geopolitical equivalent of an angry work email.
YOU BETTER NOT NUKE ANYONE, NORTH KOREA, OR CHINA WILL BE MAD AT YOU.
GRRR ANGRY CHINA.
Things that could be predicted: China being seriously irritated by North Korea's current bout of Braggadocio Fever. Use of the word "chaos" (assuming accurate translation, obvs) is promising, because China is the best bet for reining in North Korea, and chaos is very much a thing China Does Not Want.
As opposed to all the other countries which just fucking love chaos.
It's China. China wants stability and order. China always wants stability and order; China does not want a new Korean War just outside its borders, or a sudden mass influx of refugees across its borders, or nuclear weapons going off anywhere near it. All these things are disruptive to order and stability.
AS OPPOSED TO ALL THE LANDS THAT LOVE REFUGEES AND RADIATION.
So. I am waving my mind-pompoms for China managing to get North Korea to calm the fuck down.
The next day North Korea moved a ton of missiles to its border.
So good work predicting the outcome of that diplomacy, cunt.
I am now wholeheartedly in favour of legalising marijuana - in edible form only, while possibly increasing severity of penalty for smoking it, or something.

Because the only problem I actually have with pot, as a concept, is the "smoking". I am sick of, and genuinely nastily sickened by, second-hand smoke. Marijuana can be taken in food form. This brings it back into the category of "not hurting anyone else".

(Because someone else's right to smoke (anything) seriously ends, imo, when it conflicts with my right NOT TO.)
What do you want to bet if she wanted to smoke something she'd be the first to find wiggle room in her policy?
YOUR RIGHTS END WHERE MY FEELINGS BEGIN~
So, this Las Pegasus Unicon brony convention meltdown thing.
My Little Pony fans.
I can't help wondering if the "real" problem is that a lot of bronies don't really seem to have much past experience with being in fandom, or something, and don't/didn't get that setting up a convention is kind of a big deal. Because, seriously, there seem to have been so many red flags going in to this that it's sort of astonishing that it seems only to be drawing notice now.
Yeah.
Expert on the fandom here.
She knows all about people who like stuff.
So, I've started making a proper effort at getting back into something resembling shape.
Wow.
Is anyone shocked?
Anyone?
No?
I feel shame to admit this, but at the moment, I literally can't stand up for more than a couple of minutes, tops, without something to lean against. I start experiencing pain all over - my back, my abdomen, and my ankle are the worst.
HEH.
It's harder than it should be. And it's sometimes disconcerting. Take standing on tiptoe, a not-at-all weird activity I didn't think twice about before I broke my ankle. On my right foot, which retained all the strength plus some thanks to doing the work of two for several months, it doesn't cause me any issues. I can stand on my toes, even on one foot, until I either overbalance or my calf starts to cramp. (Static muscle work is still static muscle work, after all.) 
Become a teacher.
My entire lower body might as well be made of steel.
And anything above the cock is a wet noodle.
SUCH IS LIFE.
You do a lot of walking in schools.
At least I do.
I always try to be everywhere checking up on shit.
Oh and I hit the beginning of this shit.
Hurray, now we drink.

No comments: