Monday, December 17, 2012

SPECIAL MIGRAINE EDITION

Let's be quiet.
If I don't perpetually miss Friday's update I'd skip this one but of course I missed Friday's so HERE I AM.
Gender based violence is such a huge problem in communities everywhere and it infuriates me that most refuse to acknowledge it. 1 in 3 women will be victims of domestic violence in their lifetime, 1 in 3 will be the victims of sexual violence and 1 in 4 the victims of sexual assault.
Women are told by society to be careful. To not be one of these victims, to protect themselves. We are told to not dress slutty and not get too tipsy. We are constantly being blamed for our own victimization.
If I squeeze my head it helps some.
I just need to squeeze it until my brains come out like toothpaste.
Of course, if I take that right turn onto MLK Drive (which I pass by daily), get out of my car and proudly proclaim how much money I have in my wallet am I allowed to be upset when it gets stolen?
That's not to say I was asking for it (necessarily) but it does seem to imply a certain lapse of judgment on my part.
As a woman if you're dressed in a short skirt and you get so hammered you can't say no--
well, you know. Precautions are always smart.
I think most women would agree that there is some level of fear going out alone at night or going to a rough neighborhood by ourselves.
If you go to a rough neighborhood alone with no precautions you kind of get what's coming to you, man or woman.
Just because men  shouldn't rape women (they shouldn't) doesn't really give you a free pass to take 0 precautions in your life.
Motherhood in post-1968 European Women's Writing:
'Cross-cultural and Interdisciplinary Dialogues'

Thursday-Saturday 24-26 October 2013
Sounds like a class I'd have to take in college.
"What do you like in English literature?"
"I really like ancient and medieval world literature and scifi"
"WELL HAVE WE GOT A CLASS FOR YOU! QUEER WRITERS AFTER 1970!"
"That's not really--"
"WHY DO YOU HATE POC?"
Nothing illustrates that better than the rash of commentary following the recent death of sexual-revolution era author Helen Gurley Brown, says Heather Huffman, a 35-year-old author whose newest book, “Devil in Disguise,” continues her tradition of upbeat romances featuring strong female protagonists.
I wonder how feminists would react to my newest story.
AKA the greatest story ever told.
The female lead passes all your little gay writing tests--
she's just not a very good person.
Yes, oddly, in the literally 50 question quiz you can answer about your character the question of "are they a generally moral person?" doesn't appear once.
I guess to be an empowered womyn ethics are purely optional.
Viva la Feminista is located at the intersection of feminism and motherhood so it should be a given that we read banned books. And guess what, it's banned book week!
My new stance is that if your book is banned you're a pussy. True manly books wouldn't be entertained as acceptable in a school environment.
Burning Chrome?
Tried to push that one through for a short story unit.
I got as far as the title and who wrote it before I was instantly shot down.
That story didn't even reach the light of day to get banned.
10. To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
Reasons: offensive language; racism
... It's against racism.
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
IS A BOOK
AGAINST RACISM.
HOW CAN IT BE BANNED FOR SOMETHING IT DOESN'T EXPRESS?
Jesus Christ you people are fucking stupid.
There's your war against women right there. Harper Lee is like one of five good women authors and she wrote exactly one fucking book and she's getting pigeon dicked by things she didn't actually do.
There should be an imperial book standard for schools and I should preside. I'd fix all these issues with reading in this country.
9. Gossip Girl (series), by Cecily Von Ziegesar
Reasons: drugs; offensive language; sexually explicit
Banned for being inherently anti-intellectual.
8. What My Mother Doesn't Know, by Sonya Sones
Reasons: nudity; offensive language; sexually explicit
Banned for being inherently anti-intellectual.
7. Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
Reasons: insensitivity; nudity; racism; religious viewpoint; sexually explicit
I'll allow it but you faggots really need a new book to teach.
6. Alice (series), by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Reasons: nudity; offensive language; religious viewpoint
Never heard of it.
5. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie
Reasons: offensive language; racism; religious viewpoint; sexually explicit; unsuited to age group
Banned for being schlock.
4. My Mom's Having A Baby! A Kid's Month-by-Month Guide to Pregnancy, by Dori Hillestad Butler
Reasons: nudity; sex education; sexually explicit; unsuited to age group
Banned.
3. The Hunger Games trilogy, by Suzanne Collins
Reasons: anti-ethnic; anti-family; insensitivity; offensive language; occult/satanic; violence
Banned for being babby's first entry into dystopian fiction.
So I guess I agree with this list but for different reasons.
That said I'd never ban this shit from a school library. If you want to read Sherman Alexie (for some fucking reason) on your own time then you should be allowed to. I just wouldn't allow this crap to be taught in a class.
It is my goal to one day be so controversial my book is banned in a country.
But I don't want to be 2 edgy 4 u so it's a balance.
I need to be genuinely shocking to religious people and liberal pussies is what I'm trying to say.
As a Latina voter, an issue on President Barack Obama’s political agenda which resonates is access and affordability for underprivileged students to higher education institutions.
The middle college I teach at is like 30% Latino and they leave high school with an associates degree.
If you played your cards right you could easily finance the last two years with loans and scholarships.
Not hearing this. 
Several years ago, I attended a Latina symposium in Washington D.C where a very curious (to refrain from using “ignorant”) attendee asked: Why many Latinas contributed to a high rate of high school dropout and teen pregnancy? The answer to such question permeates the social and cultural fabric of Latino communities throughout the country who have been marginalized and disenfranchised.
Brown girls.
With our busy schedules, we eat out a lot. We aren't foodies, so we stick to the casual fast-food circuit and neighborhood eateries. When we eat out, we tip around 20%.
20%?
Is that standard?
Because if so: whoops.

This is my New Year's gift to you.

GET THIS BOOK.

You don't have to make a list of resolutions, you don't have to throw out the one you already made either. But I highly recommend that you get this book and read it with care.
The book is "The Gifts of Imperfection" and the odds of me getting this book and reading it are 0%.
As it stands I recommend a movie for you guys: Rambo.
The new one.
If you need a reason to see it outside of IT'S MOTHERFUCKING RAMBO watch this scene you ungrateful twat.
Trigger warning gratuitous violence lol xP
Before I get further, let me say that while this book looks like a "girl book," I truly believe that all the men in my life would appreciate this book. Because while women have more inclination towards perfectionism, men also have their own version of perfectionism...I think we call it "being a man."
Yeah?
Did you see that scene I just linked?
Have you ever seen something that senselessly violent in a movie before?
Brown explores what is behind our need to be perfect, our fear of being authentic and our fear of pursuing our dreams because "what if we fail?"
Fucking whining is what this book is.
There is so much in this book that it is hard for me to do it justice. Perhaps because this book hits me in places that are so personal that I can't share here. There were times when I was reading the book and I had to put it down and stifle a cry. Of course by the time I was done with the book, I realized I should just let myself cry.
Sounds stupid.
Read cool books.
 My name is Dior Vargas and I am an expert in publishing because I have been interning, volunteering, and freelancing in the industry for the past 4 years. 
>expert
>4 years
No.
Fuck blogs.

No comments: