Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Okay we need to talk

If you keep a blog out of a sense of catharsis, I think you need to rethink your prime directive in life. Being boring and purging your stupid head of every thought is good, okay, but posting it is a bad idea. A very bad idea. What do you do after you take a shit? You... FLUSH THE FUCKING TOILET.
rdxdave has violated this golden rule of staying interesting no matter the cost so hard I don't think there's a term violent enough for what he has done to interest. Believe me, I know a lot of synonyms for violence.

First read this article.

Stop. Okay. Listen, this is a blog, not a homework assignment. Admittedly I link the blog I'm reviewing before I begin assuming people will read it, but I always quote the bits in reference so you don't actually have to do this to get the point of my meaning. I try to make my blog as painless as possible to keep it interesting.
So apparently this article tackles that fantastic list of sins, the seven deadly sins.
Personally I think it's a fair list but it just didn't go far enough. Seriously, only seven things are deadly? I can think of at least twenty or thirty emotions to be minimized.
Despite that, this whole list looks like it was compiled after an all night drinking session by standup comedians, "did you ever notice that women tend to be overly proud..." or "do you know how men are horny..."

Probably because it was.
Seriously don't think too hard about the seven deadly sins or you'll realize a lot of them don't make a lot of sense. Pride? Pride is a sin? It's only natural to take pride in things you do well. That's because whoever originally translated the Bible into English is a genius and realized the word closer to spirit of the original, "hubris", would be totally lost on the illiterate peasant population.
One of these days I'm just going to say "fuck it" and start pasting my lectures into these posts. Not because they're inherently interesting,

Stop. "Not inherently interesting"? Why? Why would you do this? Also I have trouble believing a philosophical dead weight such as you teaches anything.
Actually no I don't. Just kidding.
There is a line in the Tao Teh Ching wherein Lao Tzu remarks about how the wisest person sits and smiles like a newborn baby. This is because in the Taoist interpretation babies are the closest to the Tao and through our education we actually venture away from it.

Holy shit not content with misunderstanding simple precepts in the Bible he continues to the Tao Te Ching.
No, I'm not doing this again. Fuck you.

The one thing that I love about the current political atmosphere is

Nothing. Next post.
I find myself interested in trend setters lately, the first of something that sets a new genre. With that in mind I took out the book Neuromancer from the library.

Oh, that's a classic that started one of my all time favorite genres of fiction: Cyberpunk. Let's see how you make this boring as fuck.
Cyberpunk itself has a unique relation to Philosophy. It dealt with concepts that we study mostly in Mental Philosophy classes but made an attempt to mass market the concepts. This had a double effect: on the one hand it gave us concrete pop-culture examples to use in argumentation whereas before the best we could rely on was Searle's Chinese Box. Arguing over the status of personhood/identity could be focused on examples of AI taking them a tad out of the abstract.

Jesus fuck. Yes all of this is true, and I actually read Searle's Chinese Box, but you're still a pretentious prick.
On the other hand, it had a downside that I call the "instant expertise defective" or IED for short (yes I chose that on purpose). Here's how IED works: when everyone saw the movie "Gladiator" some of those people acted like instant experts on Roman history.

If Cyberpunk makes those plebs desire to make themselves less plebeian, I fail to see the issue.
The cyberpunk genre had IED when the incredibly popular "Matrix" came out. At the time I was taking Philosophy of Mind at SUNY Fredonia.

Oh well look at you, Captain Philosophy 102 is suddenly an expert in the field of philosophy!
When I was teaching, I was often told of many many books that I should read from my students. Most of the recommendations were drivel,

Stands to reason since most books in general are drivel, I suppose.
Holy shit this guy is so fucking boring I can't bring myself to read any more. I keep trying and trying, but I keep finding excuses not to. Oh my God I'm still fucking here how did this even happen? I haven't been on this screen for fifty minutes.
All right this is going nowhere, I'm ending this bullshit now.
"rdxdave" you are bad and you should feel ashamed.

No comments: