Thursday, February 6, 2014

The edge

If you're wondering why knives get dull it's because this guy steals the edge.
So fucking edgy.
I haven't really read this but I'm fairly convinced we're in for some fucking edginess.
 What I learned from watching the creation vs evolution debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham, founder of the Creation Museum:
One day scientists will learn it's entirely pointless to debate people who believe something on faith with hard evidence.
Kind of the point of faith is you don't have evidence for what you think.
It's impossible to know what happened in the past because no one was there to see it.  Fossils and other evidence aren't real science.  The sole exception is the book we call the Bible, which is absolute historic fact, despite the fact that no one knows for sure who wrote it or when and almost no one can read the original texts and need to rely on translations.
People seriously think that.
If you can convince them otherwise you'll be the first person to do so. These are people who can still believe in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
I knew it was the 50th anniversary of John F. Kennedy's assassination, but according to the Google homepage it's also the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who.  Strange to think that one of the world's most popular and enduring TV shows premiered on the same day that everyone would have been interested only in watching news about the murder of the American president.
Well I'm sold.
Dr. Who killed JFK.
Conspiracy solved.
Wow and check this out:
the death of Julius Caesar
Liu Bei's declaration that he is the only legitimate successor to the Han Dynasty
the death of Cao Cao
ALL ON THE DAY AGAINST POLICE BRUTALITY, MARCH 15
COINCIDENCE?
I THINK NOT.
CHECK YOURSELF BEFORE YOU WRECK YOURSELF, LAW ENFORCEMENT.
(That's to assume the Europeans were interested in JFK's murder, but it seems likely to me that they were.)
I'm not a Doctor Who fan, but for those who are, David Tennant and Billie Piper were recently voted the best Doctor and companion.
Well thanks for that post of nothing.
Good job staying on topic, too.
JFK was assassinated so David Tennant and Billie Piper were voted best doctor and companion.
I'm sold.
You may have heard that Canadian short story writer Alice Munro has been awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature.
Proof the Nobel Prize for Literature is as useless as the one for peace.
TaigaSis tells me that the company her husband works for, in the States, has announced that they will  no longer hire people who smoke and will charge current employees who do smoke an extra $60 per month for their health insurance.  How can that be legal?
How is it legal that I have to pay for other peoples' poor decisions?
Just kidding I can no longer afford healthcare thanks to Obama's affordable healthcare act.
Here's an article about what ancient China thought of ancient Rome and that genuinely is interesting.
An interesting article linked from Dreamwidth. Whatever next?
Apparently the Chinese term for Rome was Da Qin which means "West of the Sea".
The people (of these countries) are connected to each other. Every 10 li (4.2 km) there is a ting (relay shed or changing place), and every 30 li (12.5 km) there is a zhi (postal station).23 There are no bandits or thieves, but there are fierce tigers and lions that kill those travelling on the route. If you are not in a group, you cannot get through.
Factually accurate.
Rome was well known for putting down brigands but the roves of wild tigers kept the otherwise invincible Roman legions in check.

Actually that sounds pretty accurate, come to think of it.
Well, all in all China seems to review Rome favorably.
As it should be, really. They had more in common than differences.
Also the entire Silk Road exists so they could trade with each other.

This website calculates your date of death from actuarial tables based on your birthdate, nationality, and gender.  The only countries included are the U.S., the U.K., France, Germany, and Mexico (and Mexico's tables must be way off). 
Let's see--
r i p
you
October 11, 1987 – October 11, 1997
Yeah that's right, fuckfaces.
Death has two things on me. Want to know what those two things are?
Fuck
and
all.
You have lived
263.21%
of your life.
Goddamn straight.
HAIL CAESAR.
I tried to donate blood and they couldn't hit my vein.  Just like the last time I tried.  Either I have amazing veins or I'm a walking corpse.
They tried to take my blood but ambrosia came out.
I'm half god.
I've lived more than double my entire life somehow.
I was just reading about the new Star Trek film, which I don't intend to see so I have to ask for an explanation.

So, I've never seen the Khan episode or film, but Wikipedia tells me that he's a "full blooded North Indian Sikh" who ruled in Asia in the 1990s.  Played first by a Mexican, and now by a pale-skinned Brit.  Is this explained in the films?   Maybe they couldn't find an actual Indian man to play the role, since there's only, oh, HALF A BILLION of them?
I believe I went over this about ten times already but the reason he doesn't look Indian is probably because HE'S A GENETICALLY ENGINEERED SUPER SOLDIER.
BOY THERE SURE AREN'T ENOUGH INDIANS IN MY SHOW ABOUT WARP TRAVEL, TELEPORTING AND ALIENS.
Here's a quiz trying to figure out what classical hero you are but the questions and answers are so transparent I'm not sure if I'm picking what I'd actually do or if I'm just describing Odysseus.
Hey what the fuck do you know I'm Odysseus.
Wow, subtle.
Looks like my options were Odysseus, Achilles, Jason and Orpheus for some reason.
No Perseus?
Theseus?
No fuck that noise.
The entirety of Greek mythology can be summarized with Jason and the Argonauts and its sequels The Iliad and the Odyssey.
Nothing happened before or after that in Greek mythology.
Isn't that kind of ignoring how long Greek myth goes?
Like you can trace the founding of Rome back to an apple in Greek mythology.
Oh hell yeah you can.
So to make the long story short:
Eris trolls the fuck out of some goddesses
and things got a little out of hand
So Aeneas founds Rome and gets murdered.
Does anyone have any idea how to download stuff using bit torrents? 
TOTAL FUCKING MYSTERY.
If only you could, I don't know, search for information on some sort of information super highway. 
Speaking of ETA 31 minutes on all 5 seasons of The Wire.
Not that I'm torrenting as I type this.
Fox News doesn't realize that Gangnam Style's lyrics are in Korean and that the video is about South Korea. I could understand if they were saying that the millions of non-Koreans who have watched the video don't understand the words or the video, that is a valid point, but they're clearly saying that it's "unintelligible" and 'meaningless".
Have you Googled the lyrics?
Basically unintelligible and meaningless even if you speak Korean.
Is it just me or is this lawyer full of shit?
Without even looking: yes.
I'm obsessed with Breaking Bad. Well, no shock there, lots of people are. The show's creator claims his pitch to the studio was one line: "This is a story about a man who transforms himself from Mr Chips into Scarface." A good line and I see it absolutely everywhere, quoted by actors, media, and fans. Especially young fans.

Am I the only person who had to turn to Wikipedia to find out what "Mr Chips" and "Scarface" mean? And marvelled at discovering that they're pop culture references from almost eighty years ago? 
I'm sure they meant the 1980s Scarface as that was about dealing drugs.
Which is also what Breaking Bad is about.
Surely you can't be this dense.
Some guy posted on Reddit that he's been playing the same game of Civilization II for ten years. It wasn't designed to simulate the future past 2020, but he's now at year 3991. He reports "the world is a hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation", with three super nations locking in perpetual nuclear war over the few remaining resources.
Much like real life.
A Stanford University professor calculated that an individual's risk of dying from nuclear war is 7.5%, but this Oxford University professor estimates there's a 20% chance that we're all living in a computer simulation. So if nuclear war happens, take comfort in knowing that it's more likely to be a computer game than a real war.
And I estimate there's a 100% probability he's making shit up as he goes along.
Oh shit I wrote this but forgot to post it.
AHUEHUEHUEHE late post

No comments: